image American bald eagle dies after suffering from lead poisoning

From Facebook page
Image from Facebook page

UPDATE: Sadly, the bald eagle has succumb to lead poisoning.

 WNEP update/story:

Companion Animal Hospital in Tamaqua is telling hunters that lead from bullets can cause harm to wildlife if hunters don’t take responsibility for finding any animals the shoot.
Today, they shared the status of a sick American bald eagle suffering from lead poisoning, possibly after ingesting a rodent with a lead pellet or buck shot inside.
The statement posted today on the Companion Animal Hospital’s Facebook page reads, “He is back at the environmental center in critical condition. He is being treated for lead poisoning. They (Carbon County Environmental Education Center in Summit Hill) will release a statement Monday. The lesson to be learned from this is that hunters need to take responsibility and find any animal they shoot. Animals that are shot and left can be eaten by other animals which in turn can ingest the lead pellet/shot and develop lead poisoning.”

Here is their Facebook post from Wednesday night:

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.