Ryan Township Fire & Rescue in Barnesville celebrated 75 years during an anniversary banquet held Saturday evening at the fire station.
The fire company was established in 1940 after Ryan Township seen an increasing need for fire protection. At that time, township supervisors purchased a 1921 Stutz 750gpm chemical pumper from Phoenixville Fire Company. It was refurbished by Hahn in Hamburg and housed in the Park Crest garage while the station was being built.
Joseph Wyatt chaired the charter committee. 45 members originally signed, but 90 were considered charter members.
The property for the first garage (now the location of the Ryan Township Ambulance) was obtained for $110 from the American Legion.
In June 1951, two used Hahn trucks were purchased from Schuylkill Haven Rainbow Company for $2,750.
During Saturday’s banquet, chief engineer Ronald Malafarina was awarded with the 2015 Fireman of the Year Award and Robert Taiko was awarded the Years of Service Award.
Guest speakers included Schuylkill County Commissioner George Halcovage, Ryan Township Supervisor Dave Morgan, former fire commissioner Ed Mann, and former fire chiefs Charlie Smulligan and Joe “Blackie” Kufrovich.
Providing the blessings were Reverend Janet Kline, Reverend Hafer, and Father Joseph Whalen.
The event was followed by a comedy act and music.
Trustee and assistant engineer Mike Price headed the committee for the celebration.
TamaquaArea.com Video of Program (missing first 15 minutes):
Video Slideshow Courtesy of Mike Price:
(Click HERE to view these photos on Facebook.)